Friday, July 24, 2009

It's This And That With Kenny


Howdy to my favorite peeps in the world the ones that I call my fellow Lions fans! I know things are pretty bad in Michigan but if I can give you all a few laughs and some helpful insight on the Lions then that makes me feel good. I want to tell you all that when the Lions turn this thing around, this will be Christmas, New Years, winning the lottery and meeting the love of your life all rolled into one!

Here is a link to a site called College Football News that is a first-look projection of where the 2010 NFL Draft Class will land and the First Round is STACKED with OL and DL! We could very well snag out LT with our First Round pick!
http://cfn.scout.com/2/856941.html

The Lions have announced open practice schedules for the Lions. Here is the schedule from the Detroit Lions web site. I hope some of you will work out a time when we can go down to Allen Park and check them out in action.
http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=486307

Here are some HYSTERICAL You Tube videos with Adolf Hitler ranting about the Lions. Some of you have seen some of these before. This movie clip that they use is from some World War II movie with Hitler assumably blaming everyone but himself about Germany losing the war and the sheer genius who does these adds subtitles to totally change what it really says. These are so funny I almost split my side every time I watch them. There is some bad language so you are forewarned but they are so funny to watch. They take awhile to stream so I suggest clicking on the link hitting pause then wait for it to load and then watch them.

These two are on the Lions going 0-16.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_MSuSL8e-c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01AvAlIxwQo&feature=fvw
(There one has a few comments from Rod Marinelli at the end of this one)

This one is on the Lions half-way through the 2008 season.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm4ikLH3qW0&feature=related

Last night the NFL Network aired a special Quarterback Challenge competition. It got me thinking about a few things. I have mentioned before changing the Pro-Bowl format so I want to hit on that again. This is what I would change in the Pro-Bowl. Make it like the All-Star Game in baseball. Instead of having it two weeks after the Super Bowl have it mid-season after Week 8. Every team should have their bye week during this time so the playing field is leveled PUN INTENDED.

It would be early enough in the season so various cities can host it if there is stadium that is exposed to the elements like Lambeau Field. These are some of the events I would have. Baseball has the homerun derby, so I would have the Pro-Bowl have a Quarterbacks Challenge with quarterbacks throwing the ball the farthest and accuracy contest, Kickers with the longest Field Goal and a Wide Receiver contest to catch balls on various routes. The game that is played between the AFC and NFC would have some meaning like whichever side wins the NFC or AFC teams in the draft would get an extra compensatory pick in the 7th round or the NFC/AFC team automatically receives the ball first in the Super Bowl.

The Draft is moving from a two-day weekend format to a three-day primetime format! They are going to move it from a two-day format to a three-day format. The first round will air on Thursday night during primetime, second and third rounds air on Friday night also during primetime and rounds four through seven will air on Saturday morning. WOO-HOO! This is such awesome news! Check out this article!
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nfldraft-primetime&prov=ap&type=lgns

This article is worth checking out some interesting thoughts on the NFC North.
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/07/15/summer-scramble-nfc-north-burning-questions-and-prediction/

Another Lions fan maybe not as big as yours truly LOL just joking calls himself Lions In Winter and he uses the same blog domain that I do and he has some really awesome insights and thoughts on the Lions. I suggest adding his spot to your favorites.
http://thelionsinwinter.blogspot.com

Everyone thinks I am on mad crack for saying the Lions are going 7-9 this year and I am delighted that Lions In Winter agrees with me! I am not alone in this universe after all! Although a caller to the Pat Caputo show said that Matt Stafford will lead the Lions to an 11-5 record. I guess I am not the only one chugging the kool-aid and scarfing the corn bread.
http://thelionsinwinter.blogspot.com/2009/07/completely-useless-waste-of-time-part-i.html
http://thelionsinwinter.blogspot.com/2009/07/completely-useless-waste-of-time-part.html

I want to repeat my draft wish list from awhile ago. I know I am a little ahead of the game on this one but I was thinking about our draft wish list for the 2010 draft. Right now we have 8 picks. One for each round 1-7 and I believe an extra 5th rounder from Denver from this past draft. There is the chance of getting another couple of compensatory picks from the league with free-agent losses. But let’s say for the sake of the argument we have 8 picks. What should we get with those?

My little list will probably change a million times before the 2010 draft and that is probably a conservative estimate. Right now I think we should look at snagging a Cornerback/Safety, Quarterback (Stafford will need a strong back-up), Offensive Guard/Offensive Tackle, Defensive Tackle (First Round would be my choice), Defensive End, Wide Receiver (Not a First Rounder but maybe a good one in the 3rd round), Running Back (they are a dime a dozen and we should be able to snag one in the 4th round) and another Linebacker (preferably middle which is sort of dependent on if Larry Foote signs a long-term deal with us.

Well my Lionettes I will have another post with more link round ups by the end of this weekend. I hope you all have an awesome weekend. Until next time GO LIONS!

2 comments:

  1. Kenny, I'm confused. How will the Lions get a top OL or DL out of the draft next year when they'll be drafting at the bottom of the first round as the Super Bowl champs??

    - Sweeney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not so sure about the Pro Bowl in the middle of the season. On the surface, it seems like a good idea, but really the risk of injury in the NFL is far greater than in other sports league say baseball or basketball, not that injuries don't happen there, but given how physical the game is, it's hard to imagine too many teams giving the green light to their players to go full force. So in other words, it will become like the NBA all-star game, but without all the glitz and glamour. And if football can't be played at a high physical level, then what's the point of watching it? It would be kind of like the Arena Football League.

    Additionally, it would be difficult to assess after only 8 weeks who got to go. Another factor is that do they want fans to vote? If that is the case, then balloting must presumbly start by week 4 or 5 and that gives teams certain advantages because of homefield issues (i.e. playing 3 out 4 games at home vs. on the road during that stretches) during fan voting weeks.

    Basically, All star games are just exhibitions for fan entertainment. MLB has done themselves a huge disservice by having it count for something (and I can get into that if you want), but the pro bowl is done just as a reward for players to go out and have a good time who have earned it. The NFL is wildly popular and at this point, I can see no reason why they would need to mess around with scheduling and probowl stuff. But the point of an equal bye week is well taken and should be explored more.

    What the NFL should instead consider doing is expanding their playoff format from 6 teams to 8 teams in each league. That should be their biggest priority right now.


    -Joe

    ReplyDelete